Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Under The Holy Fire


 I know this is a bit late but let’s talk about the war on Christianity and Christmas. In recent years, I have heard quite the buzz about this “war”. I was a bit confused who was waging war and why. I love Christmas and most Christians so who would attack these people/holiday. Well after doing a bit of research it became clear who these offenders were ……. no one. In fact there seemed to be no signs of war except for Fox News and some very pubic Bible thumpers claiming that the sinners of America have waged war. So I’ve decided to basically take this theory of war and basically debunk it completely. Let us begin J
1.       People are trying to take the Christ out of Christmas. Now I’ve heard this before and I never really understood what it all meant until recently. During the holiday season maybe unknown to you, you are actually celebrating two holidays Christmas and the pagan holiday Yule/ Winter solstice. Now you are probably a bit confused well what belongs to Christmas and what belongs Yule. I’ll break it down for you. Your Christmas tree is actually a Yule tree that act of decorating it is actually a pagan tradition. The colors red and green are colors of the Winter Solstice. The act of handing out presents and baking cookies, pies and other wonderful treats are also part of the Yule tradition. The 12 days of Christmas is, actually, the 12 days of Yule. Yule starts on the 20th and ends on the 31st hint that’s why we have the twelve days of Christmas. So now that we have what role Yule plays in the holidays. Now where does the birth of Christ play during this time, technically only the birth story everything else is pagan. You are probably wondering how all this happened how have the lines of these two very different religions get merged together? The answer is very simple when early Christian church leaders were attempting to eliminate the pagan faith the decided to put their holy days on the same days as pagan holy days. Over time the two religions somehow ended up merging together and forming this super holiday we now know as Christmas. The truth is Christ was not born on December 25th that is entirely made up by the Church. Many scholars believe Jesus was born sometime in April or May during warmer months due to the whole being born outside and all. So technically, Christ has something to do with Christmas but they tree, presents, cookies, the colors and the get togethers are all Pagan. No one is removing Christ out of Christmas just removing Christ out of Yule. Honestly if people get mad because the government building took down its nativity set they really need to examine their priorities in life. If people get mad because their local court house put up a nativity set they took need to really reexamine what is really important.
2.      They took prayer/ God out of school, therefore, our schools are full of sex, drugs, and sin. For anyone who thinks this that is just plain sad. For starters, I send my kid to get educated not indoctrinated. I don’t want my kid coming home and saying they made him/her pray in school because if I ever have kids they will be aware of many faiths. If they decide not to believe then that’s their choice. As a parent, I send my kid to learn about the basics not to become Christian. On the flip side, if children decide to pray during school I’m more than okay with that. As for a teacher leading prayer I’m sorry you work for the state. There is a separation of church and state for a reason. Now for the whole thing of our schools would be better off if there was prayer that’s a big fat no. Even when there was prayer in school sex, drugs, and “sin” were all very much happening, it was just less talked about. That is reality those things happen in our schools and throwing religion in there is not going to change a thing.
3.     






 Evolution should not be taught in schools. I’m actually have a simple answer for this evolution or creationism should not be taught at all, unless parents put their child in a special program that teaches their personal preference. Honestly, I think kids should get both ideas and pick what they like but I doubt many parents would be okay with that. Creationism/ Evolution is not a central part of science class. I don’t even know if I ever learned about that in school ( This deserves its own blog).
4.       Christians/ Christian faith are attacked in the media today. Now this always amuses me every time I hear this. Now recently there was a huge uproar about what Duck Dynasty star said about homosexuals. When people said he was a bigot and hateful, Christians from all over jumped behind him and said it’s an attack on our faith. This is entirely not the case.  When someone is a public figure and they make comments like homosexuality is as bad as bestiality they are bound to piss off a lot of people. I don’t know how anyone can compare me and my boyfriend to me having sex with a goat but hey some of us actually think about what we say before we say it.  We live in a country where you can say whatever you want and that’s our right (even if it obviously lacks education and the understanding of the world).  Anyone can say anything they please about gays, blacks, Mexicans, whites, single moms and the list can really go on forever. Now when they decide to make these comments and people get mad and call them out on what they said they can’t complain. Honestly, what was he expecting was going to happen gay people around the world were going to be like yeah that sounds about right. We live in a country where people can say I refuse to stand by and say nothing.
5.       Christian faith is under attack in this country. This statement is constantly made by Fox News like almost on a daily basis, it is entirely not the case. Christianity is the largest religion in the world (come 2030 it’s estimated Islam will actually surpass it). We have an entire political party that revolves around it. Now when politicians try and make laws based off of their religion and want everyone to follow them religious or not anyone is bound to get push back. When someone decide I shouldn’t get married to the man I love because their religion dictates otherwise, well they and their religion are bound to come under fire. I doubt anyone is just going to shut up and agree because their religion says it so. (Mama don’t play that). When comments are made single moms should give up a child to a Christian mother and father because single moms are not as capable as two parents. Yeah I doubt many single moms are going to go along with that. The Bible makes some big statements and we live in a time where I can say I don’t agree with that and I reject your claims.

Now I think a lot of our problem would be solved if people minded their own business. Don’t worry about who I’m marrying worry about yourself, don’t be concerned that a court house decided not to put up a baby Jesus worry about your own yard, you want your kids to pray in school many schools have clubs for Christians but don’t expect me to say nothing when a teacher (paid by the state) is leading prayer when my kid is another faith/no faith and don’t be surprised when you compare me having a loving relationship with another adult  to me having sex with animal and I say you’re what is wrong with this country.   

No comments:

Post a Comment